Inspiring Video: Grandson helps grandfather fight Parkinson’s Disease with Boxing and MMA

Parkinson’s Disease Exercise & Fitness Community Forums Parkinson’s In The News Inspiring Video: Grandson helps grandfather fight Parkinson’s Disease with Boxing and MMA

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Parkinson’s Disease affects millions of people across the country, but now there’s a first of it’s kind gym in Oklahoma City helpings Parkinson’s patients find relief and they do it through boxing.

This business, Solid MMA was opened by Jerad Johnson and his grandfather, Bob Johnson more than 20 years ago. Jerad Johnson is a local MMA Fighter, boxer and personal trainer but he says the bond he’s been able to share with his grandfather is what make their relationship special.

“I was eight-years-old and I wanted to take karate so my granddad enrolled me. He got me into it and paid for my first classes and now I’m helping him,” said Johnson.

Not only did Bob help Jerad when he signed him up for lessons, but as it turns out, Jerad would end returning the favor. Bob was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease six years ago.

When Jerad began to see the effects of this disease on his grandfather, he and his aunt came up with an idea to help him.

“We knew about the power of exercise, we knew that surely there was something so we wanted to find specifically what helps the most and coincidentally boxing helps the most,” said Jerad Johnson.

View the original story and video at http://okcfox.com/news/local/local-gym-helps-parkinsons-disease-patients

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.