Oddities and Opportunities in Movement During Parkinson’s Off Periods

When my PD medication wears off, I struggle. But there are times that I actually enjoy the challenge of moving that I face after 11 years of living with PD.

There’s a reason they recommend exercising when your medication is working and you are on. But, I also find satisfaction in challenging my body when the meds wear off.

There are a surprising number of ways around my body’s persuasive argument that it just can’t do what I’m asking it to. Unfortunately, it’s rarely easy. Falling can, and sometimes does occur, and I try to learn from it.

As the disease continues to progress, so will my knowledge and persevering spirit – as will my compassion.

My hope is to be prepared to understand and help anyone maintain movement in the fashion most beneficial for them. Fluidity feels very, very nice. Stagnation feels like death.

This evening, I put my Parkinson’s Defensive Coordinator coaching skills to use in order to analyze game tapes of my “off periods”. It’s not always pretty…and it’s far from consistent, but I’m still learning.

[Editor’s Note: Gavin Mogan is a Defensive Coordinator at Your Move Fitness.]

More by Gavin Mogan

  • My God, That’s a Lot of Basketball (3,000 3-pointers for Parkinson’s Si Buko Uganda)
    My God, That’s a Lot of Basketball (3,000 3-pointers for Parkinson’s Si Buko Uganda)

    On June, 18, 2019, I spent 21 hours making 3000 3-point baskets to raise money for Parkinson’s Si Buko Uganda, a non-profit creating awareness and serving local community needs. This video provides highlights of the effort.   Basketball Therapy & Self-Discovery The words below convey how it feels when I’m playin’…

  • Buried Treasure (What Parkinson’s Gave Me)
    Buried Treasure (What Parkinson’s Gave Me)

    How Parkinson’s gave me a better long-range jumper, a better baseball throwing arm, and a better outlook on life! I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease over a decade ago. I was 38. Parkinson’s is chronic, degenerative, and without a cure. Yet, over the last several years I’ve steadily improved my…

  • My Last 5% Are Giving Me 110%
    My Last 5% Are Giving Me 110%

    Conventional wisdom holds that far more than half of my dopamine-producing neurons were dead by the time of my Parkinson’s diagnosis in 2008. I’m guessing that death toll has risen to about 95% now. The remaining 5% (+/-) of my dopamine neurons probably don’t like me much. I’m not sure…

  • Control You, Control Your Parkinson’s
    Control You, Control Your Parkinson’s

    What if there’s a way to ensure Parkinson’s never has control over us again? Is this possible? The mind is often our biggest enemy. Alternatively, it can be trained to serve… The thing with Parkinson’s is the loss of control – the slow, constant erosion of execution of our will,…

  • Reconnecting Through Rhythm
    Reconnecting Through Rhythm

    Parkinson’s disease disrupts rhythm. And sometimes PD obliterates rhythm, battering it beyond recognition. But, we don’t have to accept it this way. Working to maintain mind-body connections is well worth the effort … if you call music, dance, sports, games, or the like, effort. I’m learning every day, but I’m…

  • Carbidopa/Laughadopa: One Pill to Rule Them All
    Carbidopa/Laughadopa: One Pill to Rule Them All

    Someone once told me that laughter was the best medicine. I think it was the claims reviewer at my health insurance provider. Thanks to carbidopa/laughadopa therapy, I can repurpose so many of my Parkinson's symptoms to treat other symptoms, that the worse my PD gets, the better I feel. ‘Off’…

  • Gavin Mogan – Parkinson’s Si Buko
    Gavin Mogan – Parkinson’s Si Buko

    Gavin Mogan has lived with Parkinson’s for 11 years, and finds exercise and a positive attitude essential to maintaining a good quality of life. He is also a certified personal trainer in Richardson, Texas, offering personal and group training, with a particular focus on helping others battling Parkinson’s or other health…

Leave a Comment